Falling pregnant may not be as easy as it sounds for some women. It is true that some naturally become pregnant and look forward to bringing up children. Others may try hard but fail to succeed, though they would love to bear children and enjoy some wonderful moments with them. It may be the easiest thing in the world for couples who find themselves in this happy situation the minute they wish to get pregnant. Here are a few tips for those who wish to learn how to get pregnant by using tried and tested methods.
The first step on how to get pregnant is to learn all about conception and predicting ovulation. It is important to understand that the hormones that are found in the pituitary gland stimulate the ovaries to ovulate or release an egg, once a month. This egg travels down to the fallopian tubes and this is the time one should try to conceive. Many women are unable to tell when they are ovulating. There are several factors that affect the time of exact ovulation. These include over exercising and stress when women feel like they are trying to aim at a moving target.
The best way to learn when you can be ovulating is to:
• Keep a careful check on the dates in your calendar or day planner. Mark the day you expect to start your period. Make a note of the number of days that it can last, as the chances of probably ovulating at the midpoint of the cycle, is high. To explain further, you may start ovulating on the 14th day if your cycle consistently starts after 28 days cycle. If you have a longer cycle of say, 34 days, the time of ovulation can be estimated 20 days after you began the last period.
• Keep a careful eye for changes that may occur in the cervical mucus. A careful examination will find that the increased vaginal secretions prior to ovulation are clear and slippery and resemble the whites of a raw egg. The discharge will revert to becoming sticky or cloudy, if the chances of pregnancy are slim, or it may stop altogether.
• The basal temperature which is the body temperature when you are resting completely can increase during ovulation. To check this, use a specially designed thermometer to measure the basal temperature of the body. Make out a spreadsheet, or use graph paper to plot readings of the basal body temperature every morning, before you step out of the bed. The time when you are most fertile, is during the days prior to the rise in temperature, which may last for two or three days. The increase will not be more than about a degree so you will have to be alert.
• Kits are available over the counter for predicting ovulation. You can check the hormonal increase by conducting a urine test before the ovulation period. You will be able to find out the likely ovulation time. Look for any signals that can be noticed before you actually start ovulating. Read the label for instructions on how to use the ovulation predictor kit.
Methods To Maximize Fertility Chances
Follow some simple rules and you will understand how to get pregnant
• It is important to have sex, at least twice or thrice a week and this will most likely work, especially when you are ovulating and fertile. Many couples do not find this a task as they enjoy making love. For some, they may be lucky sooner than they think.
• As you reach the ovulating period, ensure that you have sex at least once daily. This will increase the chances of conceiving. It is possible that the concentration of the sperm reduces slightly for the male during sex but this is not something to be worried about if the male is healthy.
• In order to increase the fertility chances, it is necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This includes moderate physical exercises, a sensible diet plan, limited caffeine and stress management. Once you adopt these good habits, you will find that you can get through the pregnancy period easily and you will produce a healthy baby.
• It is necessary to plan before you actually conceive by getting your health care provider to assess your health and put you on the right track with sensible changes that will encourage healthy conception. You will know if there are any issues to tackle with your partner’s health as well.
• Folic acid is very important for the baby to grow healthy in your body. Make sure you take your daily dose of prenatal vitamins or supplement of folic acid. If you get into the routine a few months before you conceive, the chances of developing any neural tube defects or spina bifida etc are reduced.
Try to incorporate the following foods that should be eaten when you are planning to have your baby.
• Ideally, try to eat organic fruits and vegetables as they do not contain residues of pesticide. They are healthier as the vitamins are retained and the flavors are better.
• Remember to eat healthy fats, as your body requires “good” fats, such as omega-3 for producing healthy cells. Nuts, such as pecans and walnuts, fish which should include sardines and salmon and flax seed oil, are all healthy foods. Try to source out eggs that have been laid by chickens that feed on insects and greens, as they contain good amounts of omega 3, as compared to chickens that are given regular foods. Use healthy oils for cooking such as coconut, olive, walnut and sesame seed oils.
• Zinc is very good for men to boost their fertility rate and increase motility and sperm count. For women, it encourages ovulation. Zinc is available in goods such as beef, chicken, turkey, oysters and shellfish.
• Iron-rich foods should be eaten by women who wish to conceive. Foods such as tofu, apricots and prunes, are high in iron. It is also advisable to cook foods in a skillet that is cast-iron.
• Studies conducted on the subject reveal that antioxidants are excellent for boost the sperm count. Research indicates that one out of twenty men may be less fertile than others. In order to boost their fertility, men should eat more beans, such as kidney, red, black or pinto. The other foods rich in antioxidants are artichokes, potatoes, green tea, cinnamon, pecans, plums, prunes and apples. Berries such as strawberries, raspberries, cranberries and blueberries are also good fruits to eat in plenty.
Things To Avoid When Trying To Maximize Fertility
• Refrain from smoking when you are learning how to get pregnant. The sperm is prevented from reaching the egg as the tobacco interferes with the cervical mucus. The chances of a miscarriage are high, as the baby is deprived of oxygen and proper nutrients in the development stages.
• Alcohol is also best avoided as this is absolutely taboo when you are pregnant.
• Before taking any medication, even those that are available over the counter, check with your doctor. Conception is difficult if you take certain medications, especially those that are not considered safe during pregnancy.
• It is not advisable to use lubricants or spittle for the vagina as it has proved to decrease fertility. Use canola or mineral oil rather than lubricants bought over the counter, such as K-Y Jelly. Your doctor will guide you on the best remedies.
• It is not advisable to exercise strenuously when you are trying to conceive. Try to restrict physical activity to a few hours a week as if you work out for more than seven hours in the week, the chances of being fertile are remote.
• Obesity is by far the major reason for men and women not being able to conceive. PCOS, or polycystic ovary syndrome, affects nearly ten percent of the women, causing infertility due to the increase in production of male hormones in women. It is advisable to lose at least 5% of the body weight if you wish to experience regular menstrual cycles and ovulation schedules.
Here are a few tips that will help you conceive faster when you are interested in learning how to get pregnant.
• Make love regularly if you wish to conceive. Men and women should have sex more importantly during the ovulation period though it is necessary to frequent the act regularly. The ideal number of times a week should be twice or thrice to ensure that you do not miss the chance of conceiving.
• Purchase a fertility monitor or a kit that predicts ovulation (opk). Once you are aware of the ovulation period, you can try to have sex during this time and increase the chances. Women may find it difficult to set up a chart or predict the right time. These opk kits work well as it monitors the LH surge period before ovulation. These kits are fairly easy to use and accurately predict ovulation. If you are planning to get pregnant quickly, invest in a Clear Blue Easy monitor or a similar fertility monitor as they are accurate and can predict ovulation easily. These types of fertility monitor work similar to the ovulation prediction kit, by reading changes in LK. The difference here is that hormonal changes are also monitored and therefore couples do not have to guess when they are most fertile. This makes the process faster and simpler.
• Many couples find it difficult or confusing to judge the best time during ovulation. Remember that you have a small window every month during which time you are likely to conceive. The egg survives for about 24 hours for a woman during ovulation. The life of a sperm is three to five days. Therefore, if you have sex during the two/three days before the ovulation period, the chances of becoming pregnant are far greater. You do not have to wait for the day of ovulation for having sex. Make use of every opportunity during this vital period to be able to conceive successfully.
• The calendar method is not something to go by for predicting the ovulation period. Many couples assume that the best time to have sex is on the fourteenth day of your monthly cycle. This is based on the fact that you experience your cycle regularly once in 28 days. This is not accurate and will not predict the right ovulation period. Each woman has her own special period of ovulation and once you learn this, you will be able to monitor your sex-making. When you use the opk, you will be able to check out the previous charts and the records kept and watch for ovulating signs to determine the best time that you ovulate.
• Though maintaining a chart for tracking the cycle is advantageous, you may pass the right ovulating time if you are not alert. Try to keep a record and check if you ovulate every month, at the same time, to help you time your movements better. You would do well to purchase the ovulation prediction kit if your ovulating periods differ every month.
• It is always advisable to get a regular check carried out by your doctor or gynecologist. If you have problems such as sexually transmitted diseases, infections that are not treated or suffering from poor health, the chances of conceiving may be remote. The doctor will put you on the right track by recommending prenatal vitamins to hasten the chances.
• Women should not try to get pregnant when they are in the habit of drinking, smoking or using any type of drugs. These vices can affect the chances of fertility and also the health of your developing baby in the womb. Try to give up these vices before you wish to conceive to ensure that you deliver a healthy baby.
• Couples, who work hard at conceiving, fail to enjoy the moment and look on sex as a function or job that has to be carried out in order to reproduce. This makes the whole concept a chore and they stop enjoying the act. Try to make the moment interesting, as your feelings also may make a vital difference, in your ability to conceive. Therefore, plan your evening by introducing a romantic atmosphere and make sure you enjoy sex. Research on the subject indicates that women who reach orgasm during sex increase the fertility chances as the spasmodic movement will drag the sperm right into the uterus and when men reach orgasm, the chances of increasing the sperm count is greater.
• The positions you assume during sex is also very important when you wish to understand how to get pregnant. The woman on top is a bad idea as the sperm does not remain intact in the vagina. Instead, try the missionary position as it has proved to be beneficial. Another good position is to place a pillow under the hips, to enable the pelvis to remain tilted and hold the sperm longer. Relax in bed for awhile, once you have had sex to help the sperm remain in bed for a longer period.
• Couples, who wish to conceive, will try to give it their best shot and get pregnant within the year. In case, this does not happen, you should see a doctor to get the right advice.
The Ideal Time to Consult a Doctor
Healthy couples can conceive faster if they have regular unprotected sex. Till you reach the age of thirty, you can try on your own to get pregnant, provided you and your partner are healthy. If after a year, you do not succeed or if you are approaching 35 or more, consult a doctor especially if you are aware of issues regarding fertility.
Treatment is now available for men and women who face the problem of infertility and wish to understand how to get pregnant. Consult a fertility specialist to get help.
Fertility Treatments For Conceiving
Couples, who wish to have a child, generally find that it is not difficult. However, there is hope for those who have problems with infertility as medical and technological advances have made it possible for women to conceive, regardless of the problem. You may have a problem with unexplained (idiopathic) infertility or have been trying to get pregnant for a while without success. Several types of fertility treatments are available that will help you conceive and have that beautiful baby that you always wanted. Fertility techniques are now provided with assistance for lesbian and gay couples or single mothers. This overview explains the various benefits provided by fertility treatments for different couples.
Medication For Fertility
Couples who have problems trying to conceive naturally can now avail of fertility drugs. Doctors may prescribe drugs such as Clomid, which is generically referred to as Clomiphene for women who do not ovulate (anovulatory) frequently. This drug works effectively to induce ovulation. Another class of fertility drugs that are also prescribed are Gonadotropins. These include brand names such as Gonal F, Pergobnal and Pregnyl. Women, who suffer from PCOS, idiopathic infertility, luteal phase defect and find no response with Clomid, can avail of these types of drugs. Men are also prescribed gonadotropins, if they have issues of infertility, due to hormonal imbalances. Medications may be prescribed along with the fertility treatment decided by the gynecologist or doctor to enable men and women to increase the chances of conception successfully.