News:

Posted by: Georgi 

Description of thyroid problems
In the human brain there is a very important organ present known as the hypothalamus? It is this organ that senses, and goes ahead to read the amount of thyroid hormone available in the body. In case the thyroid hormone is wanting, the gland releases a hormone known as Thyroid Releasing Hormone (TRH) which stimulates the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland is also a gland located in the human brain and is responsible for managing different hormones in the body.

Once it gets the TRH, it triggers the release of the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), a hormone responsible for activating thyroid and thus producing more thyroid hormones as required by the body. When the gland thyroid gets TSH, it responds with a substance known as Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) and as a result more thyroid hormone is manufactured. After that, the thyroid gland will manufacture more thyroid hormone as is required by the body and the metabolism functions as it should. If this does not go as planned, there is a problem, and a real one at that.

It is estimated that in the US alone, over 27 million people suffer from thyroid problems, and the most unfortunate thing is that the people who suffer are not even aware of it. Do you feel cold all the time? Do you have sleeping problems? Do you feel tired all the time? Does your hair fall off when combing it? Are you gaining weight easily but finding it hard to lose it no matter how hard you try? Most probably you are one of the many people suffering from thyroid problems.

Note that thyroid problems are very complex and despite a visit to the doctor which says you are OK, the symptoms could still be there. Perhaps your Thyroid Stimulating Hormone could have been significantly high and your doctor put you on medication to regulate it. This could make the symptoms disappear, but for a few weeks only.

Treatment for thyroid problems is based on some technology that date back almost 5 decades ago, back in 1961. The truth of the matter however is that there happens to be more than one cause for thyroid problems which contribute to the symptoms showing up. Actually, today there are 5 proven causes of hypo-thyroid symptoms, which are:-

1. A real underactive thyroid – in this case scenario, the thyroid gland simply refuses to manufacture enough thyroid hormone so the pituitary gland tries to kick-start it through THS. This justifies the fact that a blood test on the TSH will show its high even when the thyroid gland is inactive, as it is trying its best to keep things going. People with this category will do with some medication to help get things back to normal. Note however that this is the only one that responds well to treatment, the other 5 causes of thyroid problems need no medication hence can be handled perfectly with natural supplements and more importantly, positive lifestyle changes.
2. Second in line could be attributed to a lazy pituitary gland meaning that if the gland is lazy or tired, TSH reflects it’s down. If TSH shows it is actually down when a medical test is done, it could be assumed you are suffering from Hyper-thyroid although you will exhibit all the symptoms of hypothyroid. With a lazy pituitary, you don’t expect it to tell the thyroid gland to manufacture more thyroid hormone. A lazy pituitary could be as a result of stress, pregnancy, hormone pills, and blood sugar problems.
3. Inability to convert the thyroid hormones. Biologically, when the body manufacture the thyroid hormone, 93% of it is T4 while the remaining 7% is T3but the boy only uses the T3 for all its functions. Thus, the body ought to convert the T4 into T3 so it could become useful. This conversion is done in different parts of the body. The stomach converts 20% of T4 into T3; the liver converts 60% of the same while the peripheral tissues cover the remaining.
4. Overproduction of TBG ensuing in lack of enough T3 to make up for the remaining. Biologically, the T3 is supposed to be dropped off at specific receptor sites so it could be used. However, when TBG is overproduced and it picks a single T3 molecule, TBG will not want to let it go meaning T3 will end up not being used, and this leads to hypo-thyroid symptoms. Birth control pills are the main culprits in this case wherein if you end up gaining excess weight when you start to use contraceptives, this is exactly what happens to your body.
5. Last but not least is thyroid hormone resistance where all glands are working as they should but the hormone is just not finding its way into the cells. i.e. the cells grow resistance to the hormone so they will not let them in.

Post Your Comment